As part of our commitment to continually improving our services, Specialized Group's Beta Sin conducted a candidate interview with Mihoko Kawamizu. Beta recently helped Kawamizu-san to secure a new position as a Senior Legal Counsel.
1) Please tell us about your career to date?
Admitted to the Japanese bar association in 2000 and to the NY bar association in 2005. I spent a total of 15 years as an in-house counsel and I have also spent time in Japanese corporate law firms.
2) What triggered you to change jobs?
The global head office at my last company decided to scale down the legal team so that it could increase R&D investment.
3) What were the factors in accepting the opportunity that Specialized Group introduced you to?
The speed of growth in the company is remarkable, many talented people are joining the team, and the leadership team is strong. My chemistry with the CEO made it seem like a good fit.
4) Did anything make you uneasy to change your job? How did you solve or overcome the uneasiness?
The industry is a new area for me and I required a lot of new knowledge to understand it. I contacted some old friends who are familiar with the sector and asked for their advice.
5) What did you think about the services given by Specialized Group?
There was frequent correspondence and I received a lot of useful intelligence on the industry.
6) Do you have a message for those changing jobs?
Meet with potential employers, even if it does not seem like the best fit in the beginning, as the industry moves very fast. Through various interview processes, you will find out what’s going on, what is developing, and what you want from your career. There is no need to be shy in exploring opportunities.