As part of our commitment to continually improving our services, Specialized Group's Beta Sin conducted a candidate interview with Eric K. Morton. Beta recently helped Eric to secure a new position as a Patent Attorney.
1) Please tell us about your career to date?
I started off working for a major U.S. law firm. After a few years there I came to Japan to work as an English teacher and study Japanese. Eventually, I found different positions working as a Patent Attorney in various Japanese law firms.
2) What triggered you to change jobs?
I was introduced to an intriguing position by Specialized Group.
3) What were the factors in accepting the opportunity that Specialized Group introduced you to?
The office culture, the opportunity to work for a long-establish firm, the fact that the firm had a branch office in the U.S. where I grew up and the overall compensation package.
4) Did anything make you uneasy to change your job? How did you solve or overcome the uneasiness?
Yes, despite having previously worked in Nagoya and Osaka, the move to Tokyo made me nervous. I wasn’t sure that I wanted to live in such a crowded area.
5) What did you think about the services given by Specialized Group?
They were great. Beta Sin quickly and consistently responded to any questions I had. Further, she also kept me up-to-date as far as the details of the eventual job offer progressed. Finally, she was constantly available via phone and email to discuss any concerns I had.
6) Do you have a message for those changing jobs?
I nearly turned down the interview for the job as I was opposed to moving to a new city, but in the end, it turned out to be an amazing opportunity. I would encourage others to also keep their options open as you never know when a better opportunity will present itself.